This visual literacy quiz was developed by Helen Cammock as a way of supporting the students to reflect on an exhibition they has visited. It encourages team building and valuing different opinions and perspectives.
Step by Step:
- Split your group into teams (of between 4 and 6)
- Ask the team to give themselves a name (this begins to develop the sense of co-operation and need for collaboration). This shouldn’t be a long drawn out process – just a beginning point and if the group find it difficult to find a name together call the groups A, B, C etc
- Let the group know that some of the answers require the group to respond creatively and that here there aren’t right or wrong answers – the key is to decide between the group which answers they want to give as their answer.
- To this end each group must confer and decide on answers together.
- Then begin the questions – using the numbered slideshow.
- For questions that the teams find difficult (or haven’t yet covered in their work so far) use this as an opportunity to develop a dialogue and discuss concepts or technique.
- The discussions that happen in the teams are a really valuable element of this activity.
- Attached is the slideshow and the list of questions.
The role of the facilitator is to stimulate discussion and to encourage the exchange of creative ideas between participants/students.
You will need to create an image powerpoint that is relevant to the age/level of your group or that is relevant to previous activities you have already undertaken.