A fun collage activity, encouraging students to explore the elements of a portrait.
- Range of magazines for collage
- Plain paper
- Glue Sticks
- Coloured card
- Post-It notes
Arrange collage materials, post-it notes and pens on tables. Students will be working in pairs or small groups.
a) Students work in pairs or small groups.
They are asked to:
- Work together to create a list of elements in a portrait of a person.
Quickly share their ideas with other groups and the whole class.
(Eyes, ears, clothes, legs, hair, background)
- Students work individually to create their own alternative portrait images by using the collage materials.
- They are encouraged to create something unusual and imaginative, using repetition, folding, different scales, juxtaposition etc.
b) The session ends with each group sharing their portraits with another group or to the whole class.
- An extension exercise is to ask each table or create a mini exhibition of another group’s work.